Meg Gerritsen Knodl
8972 Comstock Lane N, Maple Grove, Minnesota 55311 (612) 916-4665
Communications and community engagement librarian fascinated by co-working, social media and the future of public libraries. See also: Community Management, Interactive Marketing, Social Media, and Branding Management. 2011 Library Journal Mover and Shaker
Hennepin County Library
Senior Librarian, Communications and Community Engagement
6/2011 to present
Work on voice, content and strategy for library blogs. Community manager for Twitter, Facebook, Flickr, Tumblr, and other social presences. Compile and compose content for hclib.org.
Hennepin County Library’s Facebook
Hennepin County Library’s Twitter
Hennepin County Library’s Tumblr
Senior Web Services Librarian and Public Learning and Training Coordinator
Web Services 10/2007 to 6/2011
Manage social software guidelines and applications for library system. Advise Hennepin County Public Affairs and County Departments in their use of social media and online marketing. Coordinate Bookspace.org, the library’s internal social network including a blog, book lists and other reader’s advisory tools. Supervise two full-time software trainers who offer 800 basic computer classes in eight libraries. Co-coordinate Electronic Resource User Group meetings for librarian staff.
Center for Innovation & Design 9/2006 to 10/2007
Developed a long-term plan for library service, communicated with internal stakeholders, and developed building programs for capital projects. Co-managed the Augsburg Park Library.
Web Services Librarian, Teen Services Online and Assistive Technology Coordinator
Web Services 9/2004 to 9/2006
Coordinated redesign of award-winning TeenLinks Website using Dreamweaver. Designed and managed MS Access and SQL databases. Advised and met monthly with fourteen member teen advisory board, Teens Online. Developed library’s MySpace page. Facilitated annual reader’s advisory booklist process.
Researched, tested, and selected assistive software for customers with disabilities. Trained staff and maintained Web information. Met with MELSA Assistive Technology group and Library Advisory Group for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing regularly.
Applications Development & Training 3/2003 to 9/2004
Trained over 300 staff members in a classroom setting to use new Cisco VOIP telephones. Trained staff in classroom and one-on-one in MS Access and Excel.
Library Technical Assistant
Southdale Library 2/2002 to 3/2003
Staffed Computer Lab for public supporting MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Access, as well as scanners. Maintained computers, printers, copiers, and databases for library. Completed lead worker functions including paperwork and counting cash deposits, emptying coin machines, and working at the circulation desk.
New Horizons Computer Learning Center
Richfield, MN 8/2000 to 2/2002
Planned, coordinated and conducted both in-center and client-site training. Provided training in over 30 different computer software and internet courses to groups of 10 to 24 adult learners. Assisted sales team in determining client needs and designing solutions. Maintained average score of 9.7/10.0 in client approval ratings. Received Trainer of the Month Award for both February 2001 and April 2001.
University of North Texas, Denton, Texas
Master of Library and Information Science, May 2004
Indiana University, Bloomington, Indiana
Master of Sciences in Higher Education Student Affairs Administration, May 2000
Graduate Assistantships for Career Development Center and Indiana Memorial Union
Bachelor of Arts in French, Minors in Dutch and Italian, May 1998
Social Media Presentations
•”Fighting Social Media Fatigue,” MinneWebCon, University of Minnesota, April 2011
•”You’re So Money and You Don’t Even Know It: The Power of Real on the Social Web,” MinneWebCon, University of Minnesota, April 2010
• Texas State Library and Archives Commission Webinars- Using Social Media in the Library Series July 2010
• “Social Media in Practice: Spotlight on Minnesota’s Nonprofits, January 2010 Non-profit Communicator Workshop, Minnesota Council for Non-profits
• Central Jersey Regional Library Cooperative Webinars January 2009
• “Social Media for Small Businesses,” Riverview Economic Development Association, June 2009
• “Web and Social Media 2.0,” Nonprofit Essentials, Minnesota Council of Nonprofits, June 2009
• “Social Media,” Unconference Session, MinneWebCon, University of Minnesota April 2009
• “Libraries Connect in the 21st Century,” Public Library Association Spring Symposium, Nashville, TN April 2009
• “Web 2.0 101,” New Times, New Technology, Minneapolis, MN February 2009
Technology, Literacy, and Access Presentations
• “Lessons from Young Adult Literature,” Ignite Minneapolis, April 2009
• “Youth Technology Trends,” Minneapolis Staff Development Day May 2007
• “Youth Services 2.0: 15 Trends in 15 Minutes,” 21st Century Library Summit, Newark Public Library 2006
• “Helping Every Child Become Ready to Read: Care-providers and Librarians as Partners” (on behalf of the Children’s Readmobile). American Library Association Annual Conference, New Orleans, LA, June 2006
• “What’s New in Virtual Reference, Instant Messaging, Blogs, and Podcasts” University of Minnesota Libraries Reference Symposium. St. Paul, MN, April 2006
• “Communicating Information to Students and Teachers” Joint Statistical Meetings Minneapolis Convention Center, Minneapolis, MN, August 2005
• “Assistive Technology for Public Libraries” Minnesota Library Association Annual Conference, Duluth, MN, October 2004
• UnSummit Founder, 2008- present http://www.unsummit.org/
• Read to Me Librarian/Volunteer, Hennepin County Adult Correctional Facility 2005 to present
• Library Advisory Group to Improve Library Services for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing Community June 2003 to October 2007
• Hennepin County Home School Booktalker, 2005, 2006, 2007
• Hennepin County Library Backpack Challenge Coordinator 2003, 2004, 2005
American Library Association
• Moderator, Public Library Association Virtual Spring Symposium, March 2011
• Presenter, “Libraries Connect in the 21st Century,” Public Library Association Spring Symposium, Nashville, TN April 2009
• Technology for Young Adults Committee, Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA/ALA) Committee Chair, 2005-2006 Committee Member 2004-2006
• YALSA Website Taskforce 2005
• Contributor, YALSA and PLA Blogs
• International Reading Association Reviewer, 2004, 2005, 2006
• School Library Journal Adult Books for High School Students Reviewer 2006-2007
Skills and Certifications
* Certified Internet Webmaster (CIW) Certified Instructor, CIW Associate
* Teach Dreamweaver, HTML, Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Internet Explorer, MS Project and FrontPage
* Microsoft Office User Specialist Certified in PowerPoint and Access.
* Fluent in French. Proficient in Dutch and Italian.